Always Be Excellent' by Choosing SHRM Certification SHRM - SHRM

We make choices daily on different issues, from the most subtle to the most important. When making these choices, we employ (consciously or not) different mechanisms that help us to estimate the potential benefit of each available option. Sometimes the option to choose is obvious: Its anticipated benefits outweigh its attendant risks and entailed costs. Sometimes the choice is not so obvious.
Deciding whether to pursue SHRM certification is based on the same algorithm. For many people, the benefits of becoming certified include expectations of being promoted, receiving a salary increase or landing a specific job. These ideas likely motivate their decision to earn the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP credential.
That approach works well if the connection between the expected benefits of certification, and the effort and investment required to earn it, is well-defined. But in many workplace cultures, being certified is not a distinguishing criterion. Such is the case in my country, Greece.
Instead, my decision to pursue SHRM certification was rooted in my personal philosophy: to always pursue the best possible outcome. As Homer put it in the Iliad, aien aristeuein—"always be excellent."
The SHRM Annual Conference and Expo 2021 is a great way to gain 20+ professional development credits (PDCs) toward your SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP recertification. Join us at SHRM21, taking place Sept. 9-12 in Las Vegas and virtually.]
I have loved the field of HR since the dawn of this century. After I earned my master's degree in HR management, I merited a master's degree in business administration to become more business-literate. Both post-graduate degrees provided me with the confidence to realize that I indeed possessed the knowledge and hard skills to perform my duties as an HR business partner for an international organization.
Not long after I started working, however, I began to wonder about the nature of my knowledge, skills and abilities. Some say that the half-life of the knowledge acquired via post-graduate studies is about two and a half years. In a business environment that is volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous, how long would my knowledge, skills and abilities last? Would they still be the right ones to have?
After all, the value of an HR division, as perceived by the organization's stakeholders, is strongly related to its impact on business results, according to Victory Through Organization, by David Ulrich, David Kryscynski, Wayne Brockbank and Mike Ulrich (McGraw-Hill Education, 2017). This impact depends on the ability of the HR team members to effectively and efficiently apply the right knowledge and skills, which (one hopes) they acquired via academic and/or vocational training in day-to-day operations.
In light of the above, SHRM certification was the obvious choice for me. SHRM provides a competency model for HR professionals around the globe. It is described in the SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge (SHRM BoCK), which is linked to the needs of business and constantly fine-tuned by experts in the field. To become SHRM-certified, one must demonstrate not only an understanding of contemporary theoretical knowledge, but also the ability to translate this knowledge into proper action, depending on the situation.
Earning my SHRM credentials was a fruitful and constructive process. I learned a great deal while studying for the certification exam. I also expanded my professional horizons by becoming familiar with countless reality-based scenarios, as depicted in the situational judgment test questions. I initially sat for and passed my SHRM-CP exam in July 2016, and five years later in July 2021, my SHRM-SCP exam.
Most important, through my pursuit of SHRM certification, I developed my competencies and soft skills, which cannot be taught within the coursework of any post-graduate degree. I am now able to showcase my knowledge, skills and abilities with my SHRM credential.
Aien aristeuein is my advice to all HR professionals: Always be excellent! Earn your SHRM certification. Do it primarily for yourself; the rest of its benefits will follow.
Nikolas Kapantais, M.A., MBA, SHRM-SCP, is the head of the international HR business partner department for The NPG Group, National Bank of Greece. He is based in Attica, Greece.
Comments
Post a Comment